The majority of Turkmen live in Turkmenistan yet there are a significant number who live in surrounding countries. In Central Asia the Turkmen population numbers over 2.9 million. The Turkmen identify as “children of the desert” and lived nomadic lifestyles before the Soviet Union conquered their land. Even though there have been many changes politically and economically very little has changed in regard to religion and the structure of the family. The Turkmen are known for their hospitality, sincerity, and trustworthiness. There are very few believers among the Turkmen, most practice a blend of Islam and mysticism. Turkmen usually face persecution if they decide to leave the Islamic faith.
Engagement // What’s Happening Now
Live Dead has Boots of the Ground stories on their website that shares the stories of Live Dead workers. The story “One Cup of Tea… or Twenty” shares the encounter of a global worker with a Central Asian woman. The global worker ran into a woman at a bakery that she met weeks before. The woman said she had prepared food and asked God who to give it to. Once the Central Asian woman saw the worker she insisted that this woman was sent by God and that the food she had prepared was for her. They sat down to drink tea and eat while the worker was able to share the gospel with her. The worker has sown many seeds and patiently awaits a great harvest.
To join in reaching the Turkmen of Central Asia visit Live Dead.
Sustainability // The Bigger Story
Global Initiative understands reaching Muslims is an entirely spiritual matter and prayer is an utmost necessity. Consider joining Jumaa Prayer Fellowship and consistently pray for Muslims on Fridays.
Partnership // Move Beyond
Please spend a few minutes in prayer for:
- Pray for those actively working in Central Asian countries, that God would provide opportunities like in the story above to share the gospel to Turkmen.
- Eurasia Community desires to see churches planted throughout Eurasia, pray that this dream would be realized.
- Pray God would reveal himself through dreams and visions.
- Pray the hearts of the Turkmen would be open as workers spread seeds of the gospel in Central Asia.
- Pray for Turkmen believers that they may boldly share the gospel with their families and communities.
Interested in more opportunities? Visit the Wide Open website.