Located on the southern end of the Arabian Peninsula is the country of Yemen. Its capital, Sana’a, is said to be founded by Shem, the son of Noah, and the land was once the kingdom of the Queen of Sheba. Yemen is now home to over 27 million people who largely practice Shia Islam, and 11 million of these people are Northern Yemeni. They are a Sanaani Arab people group who inhabit the northern mountains, north-eastern deserts, and Sana’a.Engagement // What’s Happening Now
Engagement in Yemen is difficult and the country is home to very few Christians. There is opportunity for compassion ministries as a way to help meet people’s physical needs. Pray that the church in Yemen will be a light of hope in this difficult time.Sustainability // The Bigger Story
Though it is difficult for Christians to share their message from within the country, it is possible to broadcast into the country. Pray that seeds may be planted as TV broadcasting and radio become a tool for sharing the gospel.Partnership // Move Beyond
- Pray for creative ways of reaching Northern Yemeni in places such as the desert, where TV or radio is limited.
- Pray for growth within the Christian communities as well as establishment of local churches.
- Pray that the Bible and the JESUS film will become accessible in their language.
- Pray for provision for those who need food and shelter.
- As the Holy Spirit is moving in Yemen, pray for openness to the gospel and the leading of God.