Located adjacent to the Baltic Sea and bordering countries such as Poland, Belarus, and Latvia is the country of Lithuania. The people were thought to originally have migrated from Asia. There are over 2.5 million Lithuanians the majority of them follow Catholicism. The people are lovers of food, sports, and folklore. Lithuania regained sovereignty only in 1990, but since then, their people have encountered issues of increased poverty and crime.
Engagement // What’s Happening Now
In the blog post “Excellence doesn’t happen by chance: Kidz Lithuania” Sharon McCammon, an AGWM missionary, speaks about her passion of working with kids. She has established a program which not only shares Jesus with kids but it teaches children how to share Jesus with others.
Sharon states, “the fruit from this harvest is evident. Many of the children who graduate from the program go on to become worship leaders, pastors, and strong members of their community. Jesus isn’t just taught; He’s lived. “You can’t force someone to accept love,” Sharon says, “but you can demonstrate it. And that’s all we’re doing. Honestly, this ministry, this life? It’s just a joy. I love it. I love it.”
Moreover, Teen Challenge has three rehabilitation centers serving as a ministry to those working to overcome addiction to drugs and alcohol.
Since missionaries first came in 1992, there are now 20 churches. In 1995 Vilnius Theological College was established.Sustainability // The Bigger Story
Churches are being planted in Lithuania and ministries such as Teen Challenge are working to rehabilitate and share Christ with the broken. But in a country, such as Lithuania, with a strong affinity for Roman Catholicism, prayer for revival is vital.
To join in reaching Lithuanians visit Eurasia Northwest.
Partnership // Move Beyond
Please spend a few minutes in prayer for:
- Through the efforts of Sharon McCammon and other AGWM missionaries, pray that compassion will open the hearts and minds of children and families to the gospel.
- Pray that people addicted to drugs and alcohol will find rehabilitation at Teen Challenge and will have the opportunity to be healed and changed by the power of God.
- Pray for the pastors coming out of Vilnius Theological College that they will be anointed and will boldly follow the leading of God to the unreached people in their country.
- Pray that the churches and the body of believers in Lithuania will be encouraged and will be a light in their communities.
- Pray for revival in their country and a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit in Lithuania.
Interested in more opportunities? Visit the Wide Open website.